[Opm] Thesis - Enhancing OPM-based Reservoir Simulation via PETSc integration

Jørgen Kvalsvik jorgekva at stud.ntnu.no
Mon Dec 14 16:14:16 UTC 2015

First of all, I'm very sorry this took so long. There was an
administrative error at NTNU, so my thesis was not evaluated until now.

I call attention to my work and activity on the OPM mailing list and the
OPM Meeting in Trondheim in February. My report on the work has finally
been published, available here:

http://daim.idi.ntnu.no/masteroppgave?id=13659

I wish to thank you all for your help, support and insight during this
work, and I look forward to any opportunity to work with you again in
the future.

--

Abstract:

Numerical libraries have different properties and performance
depending on the problem and data set at hand, and support
different features such as parallelisation, co-processor acceleration,
debugging and profiling. Having several libraries available can be
beneficial for a complicated and performance sensitive software
project. Utilising a new library is non-trivial, as libraries have
different design philosophies and semantics, so properly integrating
them is important for usability and adoption.

In this thesis, the well-established PETSc library was integrated
with the Open Porous Media (OPM), and an example application
was adapted to use PETSc for numerical computation. The
application performance was measured with several configurations
using a real-world data set.

We found that the fastest PETSc configuration was approximately
48% faster than the fastest unmodified configuration, and that
PETSc is a viable alternative numerics library for OPM. We did
not observe any benefit when performing numerics on the GPU
for this particular workload.

The integration described in this thesis is proposed as a draft for
a unified interface for linear algebra and numerics libraries for
OPM, with the goal of supporting even more third party libraries.

This work was done in collaboration with Statoil.