[Opm] Reduce use of Deck in downstream modules

Joakim Hove joaho at statoil.com
Tue Apr 26 12:45:08 UTC 2016

Hello;

I would like to draw the attention to this PR: https://github.com/OPM/opm-parser/pull/781

This PR is a step in a long term plan to reduce the use of the Deck api outside of opm-parser. The PR will introduce this code in Deck.hpp:

#ifdef OPM_PARSER_DECK_API_WARNING
#ifndef OPM_PARSER_DECK_API

#pragm message "Warning ....."

#endif
#endif

When the PR is merged there will be no immediate changes in downstream modules, but you are advised to compile downstream modules with the flag 'OPM_PARSER_DECK_API_WARNING' set - then you will get a warning for each compilation unit which includes Deck.hpp. After some time I intend to remove the outer #ifdef - and the situation will be reversed; you will get a warning unless the symbol 'OPM_PARSER_DECK_API' has been defined.

When this is in effect I hope we together can find ways to eliminate use of Deck api outside of opm-parser. The reason I am so keen on getting downstream to use EclipseState is that that API is 'better' - and most importantly more difficult to use wrong.

Jaokim

this message.
Thank you