[Opm] New opm-repo

Alf Birger Rustad abir at statoil.com
Tue Mar 15 08:47:52 UTC 2016

Thanks for the announcement! There is one issue that I hope everybody with informed opinions can contribute to. Today, writing results is a performance bottleneck flow. Hence, we should find a way for flow to write results asynchronously, i.e., the simulator should not need to wait computing the next timestep while the results are written. It has been suggested to split out the writing in a separate process to accomplish this, but I am not sure how this could be done in a good way. Implementing the writer as a server seems like over-engineering, and we probably do not want to mandate MPI to run the simulator. The simplest option I can think of is splitting the writing to a new thread with openmp.

Your thoughts are welcome!
Alf