[Opm] Calculating ROIP and RGIP

Andreas Lauser and at poware.org
Wed Sep 14 22:24:15 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Mittwoch, 14. September 2016 19:06:42 CEST Joakim Hove wrote:
> [ OK - this is slightly emberrassing; but I have reached the limit of my
> understanding of the black-oil model. ]
>

> When calculating the summary quantities ROIP (Region oil in place) and RGIP
> (Region gas in place) we should sum up over the correct phase, and the
> amount of oil/gas in the "other phase":
>
> I.e. RGIP  ~ sum( SGAS + RS(?)) and ROIP = sum( (1 - sgas + swat) + RV)
>
> But RS and RV are not in the "saturation space". So what gives?

I think these quantities are only meaning- and useful in terms of component
mass. (alternatively, you can say "surface volume of pure phases" if you
prefer.) So my guess for ROIP is that you need the following sum over all
cells i in region R:

ROIP = \sum_{i \in R} PV_i * (B_o,i / rho_o,ref * S_o,i + B_g,i*R_v,i *S_g,i)

(with PV being the pore volume of the cell, B_alpha the formation volume
factor of phase alpha, S_alpha its saturation and rho_o,ref as the density of
oil at surface conditions.)

cheers
  Andreas

--
Measuring programming progress by lines of code is like measuring aircraft
building progress by weight.