[Opm] MPI Parallel OPM Flow - SPE 10 Model 2 Hangs

Alf Birger Rustad abir at equinor.com
Thu Sep 27 08:01:12 UTC 2018

Hi Mohamad,

I just ran the first time steps of this case with Red Had 6 and OpenMPI, both with one and with four MPI processes. It works over here. I am running on a binary compiled from git yesterday, so I have not checked the release version of flow. So at this point, simply sharing that your problem does not happen on my set-up.

Generally speaking, SPE10 model 2 may not be the best model to use. It was created as an upscaling case with exaggerated heterogeneities to deliberately make it difficult to run. We currently do not include it in any of our integration testing, so the probability of having severe convergence issues with default tuning and solvers in flow is high. The SPE9 or Norne model is far better for benchmarking purposes.

If you have particular interest in SPE10 model 2, there are a couple of steps you should take. One is to re-write it into a two-phase case (when it was created we did not provide support for running two-phase cases, so gas was added with zero saturation). Then you should test with the multigrid based solver provided through a command line switch (please check the manual for documentation). Lastly, you may also want to play with tolerances. Currently we have relatively strict tolerances by default, and time steps with convergence failure is not accepted by default. This means that hard-to-converge models may fail to run through. Hence, it may not be what you want for SPE10 model 2.

Cheers,
Alf