[Opm] Problem with WELDIMS

Bård Skaflestad Bard.Skaflestad at sintef.no
Fri Feb 7 19:07:08 UTC 2020

Hi,

In this case the manual is somewhat incomplete or possibly misleading.  Item 4 of WELLDIMS really is both the maximum number of wells in a group *and* the maximum number of child groups in a group.  The first applies to groups that "own"/contain wells and the latter applies to groups that "own"/contain other groups.

On the other hand, in your case all groups other than the implicit FIELD group contain exactly one child item so in this case it's only the FIELD group that happens to have two child items.  I suppose FIELD could be treated as a special case (e.g., by inferring the maximum size from the declared maximum number of groups in the run), but then outputting group-related results will be more complicated.  The output protocol requires that each group records its child groups (or contained wells) in an integer array and that array has to be sized according to the maximum group size (number of child wells or child groups).

I hope this helps.  In the short term we're not going to be able to change this, so I suggest raising the fourth item of WELLDIMS in this model.

Regards,

Bård Skaflestad

SINTEF Digital, Mathematics & Cybernetics
Computational Geosciences group