[Opm] File formats

Atgeirr Rasmussen Atgeirr.Rasmussen at sintef.no
Tue May 19 06:03:40 UTC 2020

Alf,

My initial thoughts on the issues you raise are:

  1.  (Post-processor compatibility.) A new format could be implemented in both OPM Flow and Resinsight, making it useful rather quickly.
  2.  (Write only at end of run.) I assume this can be resolved by wasting a little space: initially allocating "enough" space in the file (to fit expected number of steps) and re-allocating/re-writing only if required (i.e. expected number of steps too small).
  3.  (Not suited for parallel.) That is a bummer. But on the other hand, I do not see how reading summary-type (time series) output could be a bottleneck for a large case, compared to the time-evolution data for pressure, saturation etc. in the restart file?

Atgeirr