[Opm] File formats

Torbjørn Skille tskille at equinor.com
Tue May 19 08:25:09 UTC 2020

I have been working for some time now with improving performance for loading of summary data for an ensemble of models. I have been testing with some real full field models and this is typical dimensions of the problems I have looked at

•Number of summary vector: 30000
•Number of timesteps: 3000
•Size of ensemble: 100

On a typical maching avaliable for engineers in Equinor maximum number of cpu's available is 12.

My conclusions is that the UNSMRY format is not suitable for load on demand with respect to performance, not even with utilizing multithreading.

The LODSMRY file format currently implemented in opm-common if a first approach to solve this. This is using existing utilities in EclUtil and the only difference is that the data is stored pr vector instead of per time steps. This helped a lot in terms of performance.

This implementation have limitations as mentioned by Alf. The most severe as I see it, is that we have to wait until all simulations are finished and then convert. Monitoring simulation results while the runs are in progress is important.

The vendor of Eclipse has done a similar approach as done with LODSMRY in OPM. When running Eclipse with the eclrun wrapper script from Schlumberer a h5 file (HDF5 format) is created from SMSPEC + UNSMRY at the end of the simulation. Notice that h5 file will not be created if the run is stopped before end of simulation. Hence, same limitations as our current implementation. The H5 file from eclipse is not supported by

I’ve had a look at the h5 file from eclrun (with HDcompass) and I see that this files have one dataset pr vector, which means that there will be a large number of datasets (# vectors) which needs to be updated for each timestep, if we should use this exact same format for writing a h5 file being continuously updated as the simulation progresses.

I have been testing HDF5 on my own and what I have looked in to saving all of the summary vectors in one 2 dimensional dataset (number timesteps x number of vector). The dataspace is define as unlimited in one of the dimensions (time steps). It is then easy to add summary data in chunks in one dimension (H5Select_hyperslab) during the simulation. It is also easy to extract data from “the opposite” dimension. So far I have only tested this on a small test case (5 x 4) so I don’t know how this will scale and if the performance on real models is good. I’m planning to do so now.

I also believe that the "new" summary file should be self-contained, that is not dependent on the SMSPEC file (as is the case with the current LODSMRY file in OPM). From inspection of the h5 from eclrun with HDCompass, I believe this file is.  The h5 file from eclrun is supported in S3graf when used together with a SMSPEC file, but it is not supported alone.

Regards

Torbjørn Skille