[Opm] Capillary number dependent upscaling issues

Lezin Galibert Lezin.Galibert at petricore.com
Wed Dec 4 15:15:32 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to validate the OPM-upscaling module on simple cases
in order to further its use on more complex physics. In my cases, I
simulate the parallel/normal flow through a rock slab composed of
alternated rock type layers, and gradually increase the pressure drop
to transition from a capillary dominated flow to a viscosity dominated
flow (and everything in between).

I obtain reasonable results for low (<1E-6) capillary numbers, but as I
approach the viscous limit, OPM seems to fail to properly upscale with
my current configuration. For high capillary numbers, the relperm
outputs consists of fewer points than expected (eg: if I require 10
saturations, the output would be 5 points at saturation of 0.1), and
most of them seem to be way off. I tried to change the problem settings
(size of the slab, grid refinement, etc.) but I mostly got convergence
issues. I also played around with the convergence parameters with very
little success.

I would like to know if this is an issue some of you have already
faced, or if you had any hint on how to solve them. I hope you will not
mind if I attach an eclipse grid file so that you can confirm that (at
least) this complies with the OPM file input standards. I will also
attach an example of output so as to clarify my point on the number of
points of the output.

Couple of items on the problem description:
- 2 rock types, 50% each is present in the slab and alternating in
layers along z axis
- same porosity of 0.3, but permeabilities of 1D and 1mD
- slab size about 1ft x 1ft x 10ft (biggest dimension is z)

Let me know if this needs clarifications or information :)
Best regards,
Lezin

NB: The function I am using is steadystate_test_implicit

IMPORTANT NOTICE

The information in this e-mail and any files transmitted is the property of PETRICORE and is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer.