[Opm] OPM Query - From a New User

Alf Birger Rustad abir at equinor.com
Wed Aug 19 16:25:02 UTC 2020

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing! Like Bård says, a segmentation fault is a bug, and ideally should be reported as such in a manner reproducible by developers.

Convergence problems are hard to assess without knowledge about the model at hand. Generally speaking they will probably occur more frequent with Flow than with Eclipse as the numerics have had less time to mature. We are working very hard to improve that situation though, and on the models we have access to, the results are typically very good.

On a general note, Flow is more strict than Eclipse, and will more often fail if there is an error in the input data. There is of course also many keyword usages that work in Eclipse, but not in Flow. The error messages need to improve further in these cases. We very much want to know what caused the failure in your case, e.g., by you opening an issue on https://github.com/OPM/opm-simulators  Providing good diagnostic feed-back to the user is very important, and expect well-reported issues to be fixed.

Cheers,
Alf