[Opm] Deprecating GCC 7 and Ubuntu 18.04 for Flow

Alf Birger Rustad abir at equinor.com
Wed Aug 18 14:06:56 UTC 2021

Dear community,

During recent development, the need for bumping the minimum version of GCC from version 7 to version 8 surfaced. The only supported platform affected is Ubuntu 18.04. This means that if we move on to deprecate GCC 7, it will not be possible to build the opm-simulators and opm-upscaling repositories from git with the default compiler on Ubuntu 18.04. Packages from the latest releases will still work. While we are in the process of bumping the version, we should also consider skipping GCC 8 and move directly to GCC 9. This will only affect the old Debian stable, which is using GCC 8. In practise it means that we will need to upgrade our Jenkins server to the latest Debian stable.

If moving to GCC 9 or later creates problems for you, please voice your concern. If no concerns are voiced, we will publish a date for the transition to give developers and users at least two weeks to upgrade their distribution.

Best,
Alf

intended for the addressee only. Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the
this message.
Thank you