[Opm] New opm-repo

Roland Kaufmann roland.kaufmann at uni.no
Tue Mar 15 12:19:56 UTC 2016

On 15. Mar. 2016 at 09:47, Alf Birger Rustad wrote:
> Today, writing results is a performance bottleneck flow.
> the simulator should not need to wait computing the next timestep
> while the results are written. It has been suggested to split out the
> writing in a separate process to accomplish this, but I am not sure
> how this could be done in a good way.

 From an engineering view, I would guess fork-and-dump (on Linux and
BSDs) is the most practical one, but I guess you probably want the code
to stay portable C++. Then probably something with putting the result in
a boost::interprocess::mapped_region can apply.

Otherwise, I don't quite see how IPC to another process should be
significantly faster than writing the results to a disk buffer.

And the relative timings that Markus gives indicate that perhaps much
can be achieved by doing a profile of the output rendering code and see
if there are any bottlenecks that can be addressed there first.

--
	Roland.